Monday, November 14, 2005

Classic Girl

I've been reading the Classic Star Wars trades from Dark Horse Comics. They collect the Archie Goodwin and Al Williamson Star Wars strips that appeared in the newspapers for years, well before the Phantom fiasco.

I remember reading some of these when they first ran in the paper but we didn't have a subscription so I couldn't follow them very often. That made it hard to appreciate the efforts of Goodwin and Williamson. But appreciate them, I do!

These collections consist of the daily strips that were reformatted to make them work as a continuous comic-book story...... with Al Williamson redrawing and extending many panels for this new format. I've always been a huge Williamson fan, so it's no surprise that I dig these books.

If anyone were to ask me which inker I'd most want to work with, I wouldn't hesitate for a second before blurting out "Al Williamson!"

Last post's title was a song title from:
The Game by Queen

The death of Freddie Mercury was a serious loss for the rock music world. His was the only celebrity death that has ever affected me. I miss him.

7 Comments:

Blogger Michael May said...

Dark Horse did an amazing job of converting those newspaper strips to comic book format. I wouldn't have thought it possible with how much repeating of information those strips do from day to day, but it reads like it was meant to be a comic.

And the stories are really good too (made more so by Williamson).

November 14, 2005 10:36 AM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

Speaking of old Star Wars comics.... I've just ordered the first trade of the Marvel Comic Star Wars reprints. Dang, they're expensive for being reprint material.... but if I enjoy the first one, I'll continue to pick up the others....

November 14, 2005 12:16 PM  
Blogger The Mad Alaskan said...

As money allows I'm trying to get all the Star Wars trades in chronological story order. (There's a list on the Dark Horse site) So, I've recently read some newer material set further back in time. It's interesting to be learning some of the back story that leads up to the stuff we know from the movies, but really I'm wanting to jump ahead to the Luke & Han era and get those Marvel reprints and the newpaper strip reprints. But it's kind of an obsessive thing at this point...wanting to read it all in order. Course it doesn't help they keep going back and adding things to the past.

November 14, 2005 4:12 PM  
Blogger The Mad Alaskan said...

And be sure to shop around! Amazon has good prices a lot and once you buy a couple Star Wars books they start adding them to your daily deal offers. And catching them when they are resolicited, as most are once in a while, can get you good deals at DCBS.

November 14, 2005 4:15 PM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

Yeah, I've got that first Marvel trade on order with DCBS. It was just under $20 US. I've never order from Amazon. I wonder if it would be cheaper...? The whole "living in Canada" thing, in regards to shipping and exchange, usually sucks, though.

November 14, 2005 4:45 PM  
Blogger The Mad Alaskan said...

Amazon Canada, dude!

http://www.amazon.ca

November 15, 2005 6:18 PM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

I checked it out. They are slightly high in price than DCBS... although, if I order enough stuff, I can get free shipping.

I'll have to think more on it....

November 16, 2005 12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home