Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Green and Grey

The last few weeks I've been trying to catch up on some of my comic book reading. I was reorganizing "The Pile" and found my issues of The Gray Area, the creator owned title from John Romita JR that came out through Image in 2004. I read the first issue way back when it came out and thought it was ok. Then there was a large gap of time till the second issue, so I decided, instead of reading it, I would wait until I got the rest of the series before sitting down to read them. I wish I had read the second issue when I got it.... then, maybe, I wouldn't have wasted the $7 (or whatever rip off Canadian price I paid) for the final issue.

Any of y'all read this? The art was excellent. Romita Jr and Klaus Janson are in full swing. No surprise there. But the story...... it was hard to put my finger on what exactly was the problem for me. Was it a case of too much to say and not enough space to say it, resulting in a shattershot of moments? Was it a case of a main character I totally didn't care for? Or maybe, it was that the promise of John Romita Jr unshackled from the Marvel yoke never realised it's full protential. I dunno.... but the final reading experience was very disappointing, to say the least. It's too bad, cuz I really wanted to like this book.

Last post's title was a song title from:
Eliminator by ZZ Top

OK. That one was way too easy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think it's because the main character wasn't too likeable.

December 19, 2005 6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home