Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Under My Thumb

I know. I know. It's been a week since I posted anything new here. I'm sorry. It's been hard coming up with stuff to talk about, as I've been holding off putting any more Empty Chamber up. I don't want to show too much of it before it's ready to hawk. (insert wink smilie here)

But, I think putting up a rough layout is all right, yeah? This is the tentative rough layout for the next page. A. David still needs to sign off on it before I go to the penciling stage. He's such a control freak. (insert wink smilie here)


Sometimes, I draw the page as roughs on a thumbnail scale. Very rough suggestion of figures and locations. But most of the time, I do the rough panels on different pieces of paper and at different scales (usually close to the actual scale I want them for the page). I scan them all in and assemble them in Photoshop. This is where I'll make adjustments to the placement and scale of figures. This is the critical phase of the solidity of the page. So I take time to make sure the flow of the panels works with the dialogue and action.

As a sidenote, the Empty Chamber production blog (hosted by PopCultureShock) is shaping up nicely. ADL and I expect it to go "live" on March 1st! I do hope to see you all there. We will show you many a splendid thing each week!

Last post's title was a song title from:
Has Been by William Shatner

Ben Folds supplies the tunes. Bill supplies the words. There's a chilling song about Shatner finding his wife dead in their pool. You can tell he is speaking from the heart. Great album.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Mad Alaskan said...

HAHAHA!!! Your rough page is better than about half the stuff being published these days!

February 21, 2006 12:22 PM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

Thanks, Kel!

You know, one of the hardest things for me, when laying out a page, is making sure I've left enough room for the words. Is there a way to guestimate the amount of space to leave? If I did the words quickly in Photoshop at a certain point size and at a certain scale, could I get a pretty good idea of how much space to leave?

Kel? Ed? Anyone......?

Thanks in advance. :)

February 21, 2006 3:23 PM  
Blogger todd said...

jason~~

well, i finally got a chance to read your website (i am still stuck in dial-up land and so surfing is harder/takes much more time.) really nice site and blog! also, great choices in music (although i'm wondering how someone so young knows so much old stuff?)...
also, i love the shatner(/folds) disc and cried the first time i heard 'what have you done'--the one about his wife. he's really 'in' that one--sad and chilling.
as for lettering--yeah. try putting the page in and mocking letters in at 6.35 with a space of 7.35. that should give you an idea of what you need to leave for. i know many artists who include balloons in their layouts. sometimes that helps knowing who talks first, second, etc. also, here are a couple pointers i learned over the years that might help.
be concise.
no more than 30 words per balloon.
be concise.
don't go overboard with dialects/accents.
don't describe action that the artist has already shown (ie; "i'll just swing/fly/jump over here...")
oh, yeah, and be concise.
empty chamber looks good from what i can see here! best of luck with it!
todd

February 22, 2006 5:00 PM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

Hey Todd!

Thanks for the kind words and all the tips! I'll definitely give the dialogue trick a go.

As for me being so young to know all the oldies..... I grew up with a mother that was pretty into pop music of her time. She had tons of LP's that I would listen to when see wasn't looking! I even still have a few of them packed away somewhere. :)

Anyways, I'm loving Perhapanauts and wish you much success with it so we can see more stories!

February 24, 2006 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home