Here's the previous drawing inked... but with a repositioned robot arm. This is the proposed cover for the first issue of Kill All Monsters!
. It will be included in the submission pitch that will be going out to select publishers!
My good friend, Alex Shiekman
, asked this question in the comments section of the previous post :
Looks great! Is this a stage from which you can ink or do you have to do some more rendering before inking?
I did indeed ink from this stage of drawing. After I changed the left arm of the robot in the original drawing, I went straight into inking mode. About 90% of the inking was done with a pen (using a Hunt Globe Bowl Pointed 513 EF nib, for you artists out there). The other 10% of the drawing was done with a brush (Winsor and Newton series 7 #2), mostly to beef up some of the line weights and for the fur/hair on the monster's neck and back. The dry brush for the background was done with a bamboo brush.
With the commencement of Kill All Monsters!, I've been trying to make the inking process more spontaneous and fun. This has lead me to leave the pencil drawings I ink from a little more "loose", much different than the way I've always worked. It can be a bit of a drag when the drawing is not working, but overall, I've had a lot of fun inking Kill All Monsters!.
Labels: art, Kill All Monsters