Thursday, April 08, 2010

All Over The World

My process is all over the map on these Cloak & Dagger sample pages. Seriously. It's a mix of traditional pencils and digital "pencils". The digital pencils are looking a lot like inks... not sure what to do now. Pencil the pages or digitally ink the pages. It's turning out to be almost the same amount of work, in terms of drawing time.

The above image shows the rough pencil drawing and a tighter digital drawing. Not quite tight enough on the hand and bodies to be considered "finished" but the face is pretty much ready to go straight to print. I'm just not sure if I should finish it up in the computer or with a regular pencil...? C2E2 is coming up fast and I need to make a decision.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Mike Short said...

That's a tough one. And really interesting. Do editors care? do they prefer one over the other? Im guessing it depends on the dude sitting across from you. Keep us posted on how this plays out. Thanks for posting.

April 08, 2010 8:12 AM  
Blogger Mike Exner III said...

Initially you'd planned to do a set amount of tight pencilled pages and then have one page digitally inked, yeah? I thought that was a good plan. Usually the editors are looking for pencillers, inkers or colorists, right? If you can ink your work, that's great, but don't they usually just want to see your pencil lines? I'd think if you were inking something, they'd want to see how you ink an established Marvel artist.

I could be way off-base, but that's how I'd think of it.

April 08, 2010 8:21 AM  
Blogger Pj Perez said...

Exner - Editors aren't looking for the hard separation these days as much. More and more, especially in light of digital art, the lines separating the parts are being redefined.

Jason - CB's not going to care about your materials, only your results. Do whatever you have to do to produce the best samples possible. That's all that matters. If you can show that you're a competent finished line artist, you'll save 'em $ if they hire you. :)

April 08, 2010 3:00 PM  
Blogger Ian Explosivo said...

Jason, I'm more excited about this Cloak & Dagger business than I am about anything else you've done this month!

April 08, 2010 6:09 PM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

Man, I'm way behind on responding!

Looks like I've gone the "pencils only" route. That's the short of it. The long of it is something I may blog about once the show is done and I recover form the eventual cold I will get! :D

April 14, 2010 9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home